Reading From the Rule

The first link at the right will take you to today's reading from the Rule of St. Benedict!

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Remembering the Saints


Benedict accommodates worship to remember the saints; Sr. Chittister speaks of the saints as our community’s heroes.  What is the communion of saints?  Those believers who light the way before use; the valiant who defend the cross; the extraordinarily faithful who obey the rule without question; those who hear the voice of God?

When I was in the hospital, I received a card with Numbers 6: 24 -26 on its face:

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.

I have meditated on these words using Lectio Divina for weeks, and today the Oratio, the part in which the words of the meditation becomes a prayer, these words become a prayer that I too will more fully walk with communion of saints:

May I be a blessing for those I encounter today; may I be the face of the Lord shining for someone who needs light; may I be filled with kindness and graciousness with each person I encounter this day;  May I be the voice and hand of comfort and solace, walking beside someone today who needs a hand to hold;  May these acts bring peace and fill our hearts.  Amen.

So many folks have been Christ to me these past weeks; I have learned so much about being present in these acts of mercy and compassion.  I hope and pray that I may become this, following in the footsteps of the saints. 

No comments:

Post a Comment